Telema processes currently on behalf of its customers about 12 million electronic transactions a year. Assuming one transaction represents two sheets of paper, the annual paper savings generated by companies currently using Telema services equates to:
- 300 thousand kilos of CO2, the equivalent of taking 67 cars off the road for a year or reducing gasoline consumption by 223 000 liters each year;
- 444 tons of wood, saving the equivalent of 3 096 trees;
- 3 781 million of kilojoules of total energy consumption, the equivalent of that consumed by 38 homes per year; and
- 10 100 thousand liters of water.
More important, however, is the potential for further environmental benefits if each of the estimated 200 billion B2B transactions undertaken in Europe each year were automated. The environmental impact would be equivalent to saving:
- 5.2 billion kilos of CO2, the equivalent of taking 1.176 million cars off the road for a year or reducing gasoline consumption by 8.2 billion liters;
- 6 933 335 tons of wood, the equivalent of 48 million trees;
- 80 million kilojoules of total energy consumption, the equivalent of about 843 165 homes per year;
- 143 billion liters of wastewater, the equivalent of about 57 765 swimming pools; and 17 billion liters of solid waste, the equivalent of about 162 740 garbage trucks.